- Online Lessons with a workbook packet sent from BWA
- Online subjects: math, language arts, science and social studies
- Must register for 2-4 subjects
- Can take all core subjects in Florida Virtual OR can combine 2 Florida courses with 2 choice texts or another online program
Mystery Science provides video-based lessons, each of which is accompanied by a hands-on experiment or simulation. It is available for one year in Early Elementary (usually grades K-2) and one year in Upper Elementary (usually grades 3-5).
The videos and activity sheets are all provided. Families will need to provide their own household supplies (items such as paper clips, scotch tape, vinegar or lemon juice, etc.) for some units.
Learn more at: https://mysteryscience.com
- Material is presented in a very clear, engaging format
- Every lesson includes both a short video and a hands-on experiment or simulation
- If you have multiple elementary students in your home, they may be able to do the same level of Mystery Science together.
- This curriculum provides an engaging inroduction to many science topics, but does not go into as much depth on any single topic as some curriculum options do.
- Only provides enough materials for 2 days/week of Science
Get Oregonized is a history book for students in 4th or 5th grade that want to study Oregon’s history and regions. Both the student book and Teacher’s Guide meet standards in social sciences for historical knowledge, geography, economics/finance, civics and government, mathematics, science and the arts.
Get Oregonized is divided into two sections: Oregon’s history and Oregon’s geographic regions. The history section highlights various Native American tribes and the arrival of white people to the region. Students learn about famous explorers including Lewis and Clark, pioneers on the Oregon Trail, and about Oregon life through the eyes and words of children their own age. Important historical pioneer figures are featured including Henderson Luelling, Tabitha Brown, Asahel Bush, Asa Mead Simpson and Abigail Scott Duniway.
The second half of the book explores the regions of the state. Students learn about Oregon’s diverse geography, geology, climate, economy and agriculture.
This general physical science course uses a hands-on approach allowing students to explore the foundational principles of physical science. Using the text and lab activities, students study forces, machines, motion, energy, electricity, magnetism, sound, light, density and buoyancy. Students will also study general chemistry concepts including the structure of matter, the periodic table, chemical bonds and reactions, mixtures and compounds and the chemistry of food and living systems. In addition, students will learn the fundamental physics concepts of the earth and solar system, thermodynamics, and fluid dynamics. Throughout this course, students discover the relationship between science and daily life. The students will gain a solid understanding of the scientific method and learn to write thorough and accurate lab write-ups.
Elemental Science offers easy-to-use plans that feature the three keys for teaching science, 1.) performing hands-on scientific tests, 2.) gathering information, and 3.) keeping record.
Hands-on experiments provide the chance for students to interact with science face-to-face. These experiments and demonstrations come with a supply kit and have step-by-step instructions, expected results, and clear explanations.
Each program contains reading plans that will teach the students the facts they need to know. Depending upon the series, your students will be reading from living books or encyclopedias. Lastly, each of our programs includes customized notebooking pages and experiment sheets to help the students organize and share what they have learned.
Mosdos Press presents outstanding classic and contemporary literature and are dedicated to excellence in the teaching of literature, writing, vocabulary, and language arts. Meeting the most stringent academic standards, the content is intellectually challenging and morally framed. The curriculum is rigorous and engaging, and thoughtfully explores positive ideals.
BookShark is a complete, literature-based, curriculum that uses a variety of
educational resources including literary fiction and nonfiction, biographies, illustrations and hands-on experiments to deliver an engaging and complete education that extends beyond textbook memorization.
Bookshark is easy for parents to teach, providing a 36-week, 4-day schedules designed to save one day a week for sports, field trips or other extracurricular activities.
BookShark combines a proprietary History, Science and Language Arts offering with a wide range of math options, to ensure you have everything you need for an entire school year.
Students learn new content in two ways: Independent Digital Lessons and paper and pencil work. Independent Digital Lessons per grade, covering fluency, concept development, and independent practice. Students learn new concepts at their own pace, with integrated paper and pencil work that supports knowledge transfer and retention.
- Math is taught through instructional video (online teacher) and online interactive practice.
- Online instruction combined with paper/pencil workbooks.
- Taught note taking skills
- Common Core Aligned
- Combines fluency skills, word problems and core skills practice daily
- Student needs to be ready for some online instruction
- Parent guides and lesson plans are online
- Parent needs to make time to prep for the daily lesson (open it up online or print it all out)
Video Sneak Peak N/A
Timberdoodle kits are perfect for students who want their school at home life to be creative and fun. Games, arts, and activities are all included in this kit along with specific instruction in every academic area.
- Kits offer something for everyone
- Creative and specific instruction
- For the creative students
- Strong geography for younger students
- Has weekly schedule for each grade level
- High emphasis on thinking skills
- High quality workbooks, games and activities
- Parent needs to have time to prep.
- You need to be ok with many pieces of curriculum
- The hands on games and such don’t necessarily follow what’s being taught in the subject areas
- Subjects are not integrated
Video Sneak Peak
Teaching Textbooks is a quality math program that provides computer based lessons and workbooks. A student can use one or both to move through the lessons. Instruction is clear and easy to understand and there are plenty of practice problems.
- Student can do both workbook and/or online.
- All instruction is given on the computer
- Lessons provide clear instruction and quality practice.
- Computer will auto grade each lesson, quiz and test
- When an answer is wrong a pop up will appear that tells the student why
- Not aligned to the SBAC standards used for state testing of grades 3 – 8.
- Not being standards-aligned makes it hard to change to a new curriculum later without having gaps in knowledge.
- Numbering system is not intuitive. Teaching Textbooks 3 = 2nd grade curriculum; Teaching Textbooks 4 = 3rd grade curriculum; Teaching Textbooks 5 = 4th grade curriculum; etc.