- Online Lessons with a workbook packet sent from BWA
- Online subjects: math, language arts, science and social studies
- Must register for 2-4 subjects
- Can take all core subjects in Florida Virtual OR can combine 2 Florida courses with 2 choice texts or another online program
Mystery Science provides video-based lessons, each of which is accompanied by a hands-on experiment or simulation. It is available for one year in Early Elementary (usually grades K-2) and one year in Upper Elementary (usually grades 3-5).
The videos and activity sheets are all provided. Families will need to provide their own household supplies (items such as paper clips, scotch tape, vinegar or lemon juice, etc.) for some units.
Learn more at: https://mysteryscience.com
- Material is presented in a very clear, engaging format
- Every lesson includes both a short video and a hands-on experiment or simulation
- If you have multiple elementary students in your home, they may be able to do the same level of Mystery Science together.
- This curriculum provides an engaging inroduction to many science topics, but does not go into as much depth on any single topic as some curriculum options do.
- Only provides enough materials for 2 days/week of Science
This general physical science course uses a hands-on approach allowing students to explore the foundational principles of physical science. Using the text and lab activities, students study forces, machines, motion, energy, electricity, magnetism, sound, light, density and buoyancy. Students will also study general chemistry concepts including the structure of matter, the periodic table, chemical bonds and reactions, mixtures and compounds and the chemistry of food and living systems. In addition, students will learn the fundamental physics concepts of the earth and solar system, thermodynamics, and fluid dynamics. Throughout this course, students discover the relationship between science and daily life. The students will gain a solid understanding of the scientific method and learn to write thorough and accurate lab write-ups.
BookShark is a complete, literature-based, curriculum that uses a variety of
educational resources including literary fiction and nonfiction, biographies, illustrations and hands-on experiments to deliver an engaging and complete education that extends beyond textbook memorization.
Bookshark is easy for parents to teach, providing a 36-week, 4-day schedules designed to save one day a week for sports, field trips or other extracurricular activities.
BookShark combines a proprietary History, Science and Language Arts offering with a wide range of math options, to ensure you have everything you need for an entire school year.
Students learn new content in two ways: Independent Digital Lessons and paper and pencil work. Independent Digital Lessons per grade, covering fluency, concept development, and independent practice. Students learn new concepts at their own pace, with integrated paper and pencil work that supports knowledge transfer and retention.
- Math is taught through instructional video (online teacher) and online interactive practice.
- Online instruction combined with paper/pencil workbooks.
- Taught note taking skills
- Common Core Aligned
- Combines fluency skills, word problems and core skills practice daily
- Student needs to be ready for some online instruction
- Parent guides and lesson plans are online
- Parent needs to make time to prep for the daily lesson (open it up online or print it all out)
Video Sneak Peak N/A
Timberdoodle kits are perfect for students who want their school at home life to be creative and fun. Games, arts, and activities are all included in this kit along with specific instruction in every academic area.
- Kits offer something for everyone
- Creative and specific instruction
- For the creative students
- Strong geography for younger students
- Has weekly schedule for each grade level
- High emphasis on thinking skills
- High quality workbooks, games and activities
- Parent needs to have time to prep.
- You need to be ok with many pieces of curriculum
- The hands on games and such don’t necessarily follow what’s being taught in the subject areas
- Subjects are not integrated
Video Sneak Peak
Story of the World presents world history through narration and storytelling in a four-volume series. While these books are written at increasing levels of difficulty, they might be read aloud to younger children and read independently by older. Provides a classical education approach to history.
- You have the option to listen to the stories on CD instead of reading.
- Siblings from multiple grade levels can work on curriculum together
- Includes many optional project suggestions to deepen students’ understanding of each time period in history
- Parents often enjoy reading/listening to the history
- Vol. 1 -4 will give you a chronological account of history.
- Some of the history is violent
- It says you can use starting in first grade, but you will have to read it to the student and explain many concepts for 1-3rd grade students
- A lot of reading
- Book and workbook are not colorful
Video Sneak Peak
Saxon Math program is a classical math program that teaches new concepts daily while making sure old concepts are covered again as well. A great traditional program for every type of student.
- It is a rounded curriculum so skills learned will continue to re-occur through the whole level
- Classical math instruction
- Great for independent workers
- The daily lessons are all in similar format which enables students (who can read) to work independently.
- Great for kids who need repetition
- Scripted lessons
- Comes with a manipulatives kit
- Students sometimes complain about the amount of problems per day
- Parent needs to plan time to walk through initial lesson
Video Sneak Peak
Nancy Larson Science incorporates highly structured lesson plans, hands-on activity, and a variety of types of interaction. The lessons are completely scripted with explicit instructions, worksheets, and assessments. Real books (three to six books per level) and hands-on activities mix with structured discussions, worksheets, drawing activities, and assessments to provide challenging science content in a format that is easy for the inexperienced parent to use.
- Material is presented in a clear, easy to follow format
- Students benefit from strong curriculum at grade level
- Very informative but to the point
- Well laid out
- Given a supply kit
- Language Arts Connection
- May be too repetitive
- May not stimulate a lot of creative thinking
- Material are not really for experiments but rather to play with
Video Sneak Peak
Moving Beyond the Page is a unit study approach based on constructivist theories of learning that primarily targets gifted children. Each year’s curriculum is designated with an age range rather than a particular grade level.
- Age 4-5 (Pre-K for advanced students, kindergarten for average students)
- Age 5-7 (kindergarten for advanced students, first grade for average students)
- Age 6-8 (first grade for advanced students, second grade for average students)
- Age 7-9 (second grade for advanced students, third grade for average students)
- Age 8-10 (third grade for advanced students, fourth grade for average students)
- Age 9-11 (fourth grade for advanced students, fifth grade for average students)
- Age 10-12 (fifth grade for advanced students, sixth grade for average students)
- Age 11-13 (sixth grade for advanced students, seventh grade for average students)
- Age 12-14 (seventh grade for advanced students, eighth grade for average students)
- Connects literature across many different subjects
- Students benefit from literature-based thematic learning
- Great for students above grade level who are good listeners (k-2) and independent workers (3+)
- Project based learning – hands on
- High quality materials
- Great literature collection
- Offers an age range rather that grade level
- Hard to use if teaching multiple children at once
- Students sometimes complain about the amount of reading or lessons being read to them
- Will need a good amount of 1:1 time for instruction and added parent prep time
- Weak spelling instruction